Monday, April 2, 2012

Today April 2, Elder Matthew Liu and 3 other Elders and 3 Sisters departed Salt Lake City at 9: 45 am with American Airlines flight no. 3039 arriving Los Angeles at 10:50 am.  They will have two hours of lay over, then depart Los Angeles at 12:55 pm with Cathy Pacific Airway flight no. 885 and arrive Hong Kong International Airport at 6:50 pm April 3 the next day local time.  He called home at 8:12 this morning at the Salt Lake Airport and we talked for 16 minutes and 15 seconds to be exact, thanks for my call history in my cell phone.  Emily and Ebony do not have school this week because of Spring break, so they also got a chance to talk to their brother and I do not have to work on Mondays, that worked out very nicely.  One thing I regret is that I did not take the time to listen to what he had to say, I just kept asking questions about seemingly important to me for the moment if he had brought this and that with him to Hong Kong etc...while he was trying so hard to practice the language of Cantonese with me on the phone,  I lost patience and told him to speak English instead because I thought time was short and I needed to get MY message across to him quickly.  Obviously, I lost my priority and forgot what is more important in that precious moment.  We all could be Martha sometimes just because we live in such a busy world trying to catch up with things of the world like Elder Ballard said yesterday..  But I was very touched that  he took this time to bear his testimony to me on the pay phone that he has a strong testimony on Christ's atonement, the restored gospel, and his love for his mother.  He told me how blessed he and our family are and will be because of missionary work.  He said that the theme of General Conference yesterday was on 'family'.  He asked me again  if we are doing family prayers, family scripture study, and family home evenings.  I assured him that we would...  Oh, how I wish I could talk with him again for another few minutes...He tried to call dad too, but he could not made it because of time.  

Farewell son! Besides of feeling a little empty in my heart, a scripture came to my mind, it is on D&C 124:18 "And again, I say unto you that it is my will that my servant Lyman Wight (Elder Matthew Liu) should continue in preaching for Zion, in the spirit of meekness, confessing me before the world; and I will bear him up as on eagles' wings; and he shall beget glory and honor to himself and unto my name."  Also D&C 84: 87, 88, "Behold, I send you out to reprove the world of all their unrighteous deeds, and to teach them of a judgement which is to come.  And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face, I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."  Son, I am always proud of you, God be with you til we meet again...!

No comments:

Post a Comment